Ozempic® is a glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) receptor agonist indicated as:
An adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
To reduce the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus and established cardiovascular disease.
The most common adverse reactions, reported in ≥5% of patients treated with Ozempic® are: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and constipation.
Personal or family history of medullary thyroid carcinoma or in patients with Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2.
Serious hypersensitivity reaction to semaglutide or any of the excipients in Ozempic®.
Start at 0.25 mg once weekly. After 4 weeks, increase the dose to 0.5 mg once weekly.
If additional glycemic control is needed, increase the dose to 1 mg once weekly after at least 4 weeks on the 0.5 mg dose.
If additional glycemic control is needed, increase the dose to 2 mg once weekly after at least 4 weeks on the 1 mg dose.
Administer once weekly at any time of day, with or without meals.
If a dose is missed administer within 5 days of missed dose.
Inject subcutaneously (under the skin) in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm.
How to use:
1. Check your Ozempic® pen. Read the label to check that your pen contains Ozempic®. Make sure that the Ozempic® medicine in your pen is clear and colorless.
2. Attach a new needle. Tear off the paper tab. Push and turn the needle on until it is tight. Pull off both needle caps.
3. Check the Ozempic® flow with each new pen. Turn the dose selector until the dose counter shows the flow check symbol. Press and hold in the dose button until the dose counter shows 0. Make sure a drop appears at the needle tip.
4. Select your dose. Turn the dose selector until the dose counter shows the dose you need to inject (0.25 mg or 0.5 mg for the red‑label pen, 1 mg for the blue‑label pen).
5. Inject your dose. Insert the needle into your skin. Press and hold down the dose button. After the dose counter reaches 0, slowly count to 6. Remove the needle from your skin.
6. After your injection carefully remove the needle and place it in a sharps container. Put the pen cap back on the pen.
7. Keep it refrigerated. Ozempic® can be kept at room temperature for 56 days as long as it is not kept above 30 Degrees Celsius.